A forum for those burning business and legal questions that voice-over artists face everyday, like, LLC or S-Corp? What is a non-disclosure agreement and do I need to sign one?, Etc, Etc.
186 Members

You need to be a member of VOICEOVER UNIVERSE to add comments!


Comments are closed.


  • Great Robert I'm not far off then.
    BTW, I as well as many others appreciate the time that you take, to answer our questions, It's great to have someone like you in our corner.
  • Hi J. Well, the questions you would ask depends on what you are going to see the attorney for. Of course, you would want to ask the basic information like what the lawyer's hourly rate is and if they have any experience in the particular area of law that you are consulting on. The most important thing you should leave with is some sense of confidence that you are in good hands.
  • So, Robert
    I've set up an inital appointment with a local attorney next week, and it got me wondering, what sort of questions should I ask, what should I expect to gain from this interview, what will tell me that I'm at the right place, average rates, etc.

    Holy smokes there is a lot to know, to ask.
    i appreciate your input robert.
  • Robert,
    Thanks for the advice!
  • Hi Karen! AHH, I have been asked this question many times. Here is a thread to the Voice-Over Forum where I discuss this question a bit: http://www.voice-overs.com/forum/ask-attorney-rob-sciglimpaglia/134....

    The short answer is, from that post: While most of those sites on line are just fine to use to form a corporation or LLC, there are a couple of things you have to keep in mind. 1) Many of them won't advise you which State is most advantageous to file in. Different States have different tax structures so you should speak with a qualified tax representative or accountant to learn the tax differences between one state and another. 2) Some of those sites don't file the necessary paperwork to get your Federal and State Tax ID's, or advise you on whether they are necessary. Again, a qualified accountant or attorney can help you with that issue.

    Also, everyone's situation is COMPLETELY different as far as assets people own and are trying to protect, income and expenses of the business, etc, and only after a proper analysis of those factors would you know if an LLC or S-Corp, or some other entity, would be right for your particular circumstances.

    In general, those sites, like many other things you buy on the internet, are just fine -- IF you know what you want. If you don't know what you want, it would be wise to seek the advice of an attorney or accountant and have them set the corporation or llc up for you.

    I know the urge is that "I don't need a lawyer to help me out", but you can actually end up unintentionally hurting yourself in the long run in not consulting a proper professional to set up your LLC.

    Actually, you can speak to either a lawyer or accountant that does LLC or Corporate formation, and I would even speak to both because the lawyer will give you advice on the legal differences and ramifications and the accountant will advise you on the tax ramifications.

    Hope this helps!
  • Rob,

    Ok question for you, as you have had so many. I am getting ready to file for LLC in my state. I went online and found where I could file with my state and there was a word of caution at the top of the site. It said that I may wish to talk to my tax advisor or lawyer before I file. WHY? What is it that I don't know that could hurt me?
    I have included the link to the site below incase it might help you answer this question.


    Also Rob if you do come to the conclution that I should speak to an attorney in my area, Please recommend one.
    Karen Carson
    Kansas City, MO
  • So, I'm looking for a package deal on the legal aspects of my newly forming VO business (A-Z).
    If you could point me in the right direction to articles, sites, etc. that will help me to get this aspect of my business square I would be greatfull.
  • Hey Gordo!! Well, of course, if someone steals your password and does any damage, they are in violation of Federal Hacking Law, and if they do any other damage, (like stealing funds, etc), they are in violation of a host of other criminal laws. Problem is, HOW DO YOU PROVE IT??? That is a big concern. The only thing you can really do is report the "theft" to your police dept or local FBI office and leave it in their hands to track it, which they will do if the damage is bad enough of course. You never know, however, when your report may prove to be a pattern of some kind of "ring" which will compel the authorities to take some action.
  • Hey Robert!

    What do you do if someone steals your password? What legal recourse can you take and how do you prove it?

  • Thanks for the insight! I appreciate your time!!!
This reply was deleted.